Application Process & Resident Selection Criteria
The following information is designed to give you information about the application process and our resident selection criteria.
It is the policy of Brown Property Group to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair housing laws and not to discriminate against any person based on race, color, national origin, sex, familiar status, religion, and handicap.
Application Processing and Time Frame:
- If you fully complete the application and provide us with accurate and up to date information, we can usually process your application in 5-7 business days. Your application will not be processed until all supplemental information has been submitted. You will be contacted immediately upon determination of approval or denial. All adult applicants over the age of 18 who will occupy the residence must also submit a fully completed rental application along with a rental application fee.
- No rental property will be held vacant for more than two weeks.
- All applications must be submitted electronically on Brown Property Group's website. Click here to view our vacant properties and submit applications
- Lease Processing Fee: $100.00 (With Approved Application and Signed Lease Agreement)
All supporting rental application documentation must be submitted to and accepted by Brown Property Group before a background and credit screening will be completed. Failure to provide all necessary supporting documentation may result in your application being cancelled without a refund.
- The application fee is $70 per application. (Everyone over the age of 18 must apply)
- The application fee is non-refundable for any reason.
- Incomplete applications will be denied and the application fee is non-refundable.
The Application Process:
- We can usually process a rental application in 5-7 business days from the date of submission. Applicant will need to provide all proper documentation to complete the application - ID, Proof of Income, and Successful Rental Verification History.
- Brown Property Group will make attempts to contact previous landlords for rental verifications. We reserve the right to deny tenancy based on the inability to contact any rental references provided.
- Brown Property Group will make attempts to verify employment and pay information with applicant's employer. We reserve the right do deny tenancy if we are unable to verify employment or properly verify income.
- When a determination has been made on the application, Brown Property Group will contact the resident regarding the application status.
- In some instances, multiple applications may be submitted for the same property. Submission of your application does not guarantee, nor does Brown Property Group guarantee the applicant the home, even if the home was available when the application was submitted. Homes may be rented to the first approved applicant who pays the reservation fee. A reservation fee will not be accepted until the rental application has been approved by Brown Property Group.
Resident Selection Criteria:
Applicants must have a combined gross income of at least three (3) times the monthly rent. Income must be verified and applicants must provide at least 3 most recent pay stubs. All legal sources of income will be considered. Each individual applicant must meet this income requirement separately. Non married individuals may not combine incomes. If applicants are married, incomes may be combined to meet this requirement. Cash payments for income will not be acceptable for income verification purposes. This includes any payments from mobile cash apps including but not limited to Venmo, CashApp, PayPal, Google Pay, Zelle. Proof of income must show hours worked and a specified pay period of pay dates.
Professional: Two of the most recent and consecutive pay stubs for the last 4-8 weeks prior to the application date or Letter of Hire. Must be on company letterhead, state name and contact of supervisor, state the rate of pay, and terms of employment.
Self Employed/Retired: Must provide previous year’s income tax return and the previous two month’s bank statements.
Other Forms of Income: If applicant receives any form of income other than from a current employer, proof of this income must be submitted if needed to qualify. You must provide official up to date documentation that includes the amount of payment and frequency of payments from the administration that allocates the payments. These payments must be on a consistent and routine basis. Cash payments for income will not be acceptable for income verification purposes. This includes any payments from mobile cash applications. Child support income verification requires court ordered documentation.
A minimum of two years residential history is required. Rental history must be rated satisfactory or better, with no record of evictions or late payments. We reserve the right to require a higher security deposit. Any application may be rejected for the following.
- Any one history that the applicant has “skipped” a previous residence
- Evictions within the last 10 years
- Any three late payments of rent within a twelve-month period from a current or previous residence.
- Any one report that the applicant, his/her household members or guest, were destructive to the apartment or common areas from a current or previous residence.
- Any one report that the applicant has or had poor housekeeping habits from a current or previous residence.
- Any one report that the applicant caused or was involved in disturbances from a current or previous residence.
- Any one report that the applicant did not abide by the rules and regulations from a current or previous residence.
- Leaving other rental housing with an outstanding debt.
- Open or Discharged bankruptcies will result in automatic denial.
Brown Property Group uses a third-party applicant screening service to evaluate your consumer credit report. We have pre-set criteria that we provide to our third-party applicant screening service, your application will either be Approved, Denied, or Approved with conditions based on these credit criteria. These conditions may require a security deposit up to 2 month’s rent. We will not provide you with the credit report or tell you of its contents; however, we will provide you with the name of the credit reporting agency so you may receive a copy from the credit bureau. Other factors may affect application approval or denial.
Applicants with a criminal history involving and including but not limited to any felonies for illegal use, manufacture or distribution of a controlled substance, felonies resulting in bodily harm or intentional damage or destruction of property, you will either be declined or may be required to post an additional security deposit. Applicants with a criminal record may be subject to denial, however all applicants will be treated fairly. Brown Property Group review all criminal convictions on a case-by-case basis.
Security Deposit Determination:
The Security Deposit will never be less than one month's rent. In some cases, we will ask for a higher deposit (up to 2 month's rent) depending on a number of risk factors detailed in our rental requirements.
Resident Benefit Package and Insurance Requirements
The Brown Property Group Resident Benefits Package (RBP) delivers savings and convenient, professional services that make taking care of your home second nature. By applying, Applicant agrees to be enrolled and to pay the applicable cost of $40.95/month, payable with rent.
Your RBP may include, subject to property mechanicals or other limitations:
- HVAC air filter delivery directly to your door approximately every 90 days
- Renters Insurance that meets all lease requirements from an A-rated carrier
- Move-in concierge service: one call set up your utility services, cable, and internet services
- A resident rewards program that helps you earn rewards for paying your rent on time
- Credit building to help boost your credit score with timely rent payments
- $1M Identity Protection for all adult leaseholders
- 24/7 online maintenance reporting
- Home buying assistance for when the time is right to buy your “forever” home
- Online portal: Access to your account, documents, communication and payment options
- Vetted vendor network: we find the technicians who are reputable, licensed, and insured
Renters Insurance requirements and options:
The Landlord requires Tenant to obtain liability coverage of at least $100,000 in property damage and legal liability from an A-rated carrier and to maintain such coverage throughout the entire term of the lease agreement. Tenant is required to furnish Landlord evidence of the required insurance prior to occupancy, at the time of each lease renewal period, and upon request.
To satisfy the insurance requirement, Tenant may either (1) be automatically enrolled into a policy that satisfies the coverage requirements as part of the Resident Benefits Package; or (2) obtain alternative liability coverage from an insurer of Tenant’s choice. The option Tenant chooses will not affect whether Tenant’s lease application is approved or the terms of Tenant’s Lease.
Option 1: Do nothing. Tenant will be automatically enrolled into an insurance policy as part of the Resident Benefits Package. No further action is required. Coverage will begin on the effective date of Tenant’s lease and continue throughout the lease term. Please refer to the evidence of insurance that is supplied by Brown Property Group for additional coverage details. The Resident Benefits Package monthly rate will be adjusted by the premium amount in the policy.
Option 2: Buy a policy. If Tenant prefers, Tenant may find, purchase, and maintain another policy that satisfies the Landlord’s requirements. The Resident Benefits Package monthly amount will be adjusted accordingly. Visit http://insurance.residentforms.com/ and follow the instructions listed there to provide evidence of the required insurance coverage to your Landlord.
Please be sure that your policy meets the following criteria prior to submitting:
- Policy is purchased from an A-rated carrier
- Policy meets or exceeds the required $100,000 in property damage and legal liability
- Brown Property Group is listed as additional interest
- Brown Property Group address is listed as: PO Box 660121, Dallas, TX 75266
It is Tenant’s responsibility to pay premiums directly to your insurance provider. If the policy is terminated or lapses, Tenant will be subject to a lease violation fee of $35 and agrees to be subsequently enrolled into the policy referenced in Option 1 above.
NOTE: The total monthly cost of the Resident Benefits Package is all-inclusive, and no discounts will be given if any element of the package is unavailable due to a lack of HVAC or another limitation at a specific property.
Applying With or Without Pets:
All applicants are required to complete a pets screening application via petscreening.com. Pet Screening is a third-party service used to screen household pets, validate assistance animals and confirm that every resident understands Brown Property Group's pet policy. All applicants must complete a pet screening regardless of whether the applicant does or does not own a pet. For additional information regarding our pet policy and to complete the pet screening please visit our Pet Screening page.